BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

First in 16 years!!

Sixteen years ago, my brother, Aaron and I went to a Bone Marrow Drive for a little boy in Nampa who was fighting Leukemia. We gave a blood specimen that day, and were put on the National Bone Marrow Registry.

In sixteen years, Aaron has gotten called up a few times, but ultimately wasn't a close enough match.
For the first time in all these years, I got the call this morning!

Out of the 6 HLA markers, I match 5. So now, I will go through the process to see if I am the best match. Most likely I am one of several that is being checked for this one patient.
The patient is a man who has Leukemia.

I have to say that I have a feeling of anticipation! Who knows if I will be a good enough match to be able to donate my bone marrow, but I pray that out of those of us being tested, one of us can help this man! He is fighting a very scary disease, and is depending on a total stranger to give him another chance at life!

We have been in his shoes with my cousin, Michael. We know how it feels to wait, hoping and praying that someone will match and then be willing to donate. A very special person was willing to donate bone marrow for Michael three times!

The next step is for me to go through another test tomorrow, and then I will just wait to see what happens.

If you are not a donor, please consider being one! You might give someone a chance to live!

3 comments:

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

Weep, weep. I am so excited for you and for this family. I know they are thrilled beyond words. Wow!

If anyone is interested in becoming a donor. Next Friday, April 25th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Kyra is putting together a drive at our church, Mountain View Nazarene in Homedale.

Amy Ellen said...

Wow, How wonderful that you and your brother are willing to do this. I am sure that the famalies of the people you might potentially help are very thankful. I know I would be!

AmyEllen

julie f said...

This is very exciting! I know it must be just a little scary too. Praying that things work out for this man!
I'm so proud of you, being willing to do this!!

Love ya,
Julie