BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Deep-Dish Cornbread Pizza


This is one of the dinners that comes out of my kitchen at least once a month, and my kids love it! Duane and I have a system for when I try a new recipe...I ask him if it is a keeper, and if he thinks it is, it goes in my recipe cabinet. Duane will try anything, and has a great taste for good food!
He announced after I made this dish the first time, that it was definitely a keeper!!

I usually serve it with a tossed green salad.


Deep-Dish Cornbread Pizza

Crust:
1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (fresh is best...canned will do)

Topping:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup of mushrooms, sliced
1 jar (26 oz.) Pasta sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound of sausage or ground beef...cooked and cooled.
1 cup olives, sliced
1/2 lb. shredded cheese....I like to use the Italian blend, but any kind works!

1)Heat the oven to 375. Grease a 9 X 13 pan. Prepare crust: mix egg and milk into the dry cornbread mix. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Spread batter into the bottom of the pan.

2) Saut'e onion, mushrooms and garlic in the olive oil, until onion is translucent. Add pasta sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook about 5 min. stirring over med. heat.

3) Place half of the meat over the cornbread crust, pour the sauce over the meat, and then add the remaining meat. Top with sliced olives.

4) Bake for 15 min. then top with cheese and bake for 10 min. longer.

Enjoy!

(The pizza in the picture is missing the olives. I had forgotten to stock them in my pantry that week!)

1 comments:

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

Well now I know, you are not related to the rest of us Amans. NO OLIVES!!!! How could you????

That sounds great and I am going to try it WITH olives, but no mushrooms. The Patricks don't do mushrooms, I am the only one that likes them.

Thanks!