BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Rocket's Rock!

Today marked the end of Alex's first season of basketball. He had a blast with UpWards, and we had a blast watching him improve every week! He turned out to be a great ball player, and is ALL about basketball now!
The Rockets won 7 out of 8 games...all because of Alex's "lucky shoes". (SMILE!)
Thank you to all that came today, and each Saturday, to cheer him on. He loved having fans!



I mentioned in one of my first posts about the boy on Alex's team who has Autism. Joey was a very special part of the team. Last week he finally made his first basket, and today he made two.
At first, I don't think the his team mates knew what to expect from him, but as the weeks went by, you could tell that he was "just one of the guys"! They would cheer him, and help him & watch out for him. In return, Joey loved his team. He would yell from the sidelines, "GO JOEY'S TEAM!!"(Joey, Alex, Garrett, Charlie)

I have always had a soft place in my heart for kids or adults like Joey. They don't bother me, or make me feel uncomfortable, but rather they seem extra special to me. I see them as having something wonderful to contribute to our lives. I have done my best to help my children see them in that same light.
Today, when I looked over on the sidelines during Alex's game and saw him sitting there interacting with Joey, my heart smiled! After the game Alex said "I wouldn't mind having Joey for a brother, he gives a good backrub!"

I look at my three children frequently, and thank God for their health and abilities! Duane and I have been blessed beyond measure...but I would venture to think that Joey's Dad and Mom feel blessed too, and rightfully so. Joey causes people to smile, and brightens the lives of anyone he is around. Although his future and the future of "normal" kids are going to be different, his life is just as valuable as any child's is!
And in a beautiful way, I see how easily and simply Joey loves others, and I think that makes God smile!

Good Job Rockets!!!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

They won 7 out of 8 games?! That's awesome! GO ALEX!
Love you guys!

Jamie

Trisha said...

I love those moments when you feel like what you are trying to teach your kids is showing up. It does your heart good. May be the Lord lets us see those little seeds so we can be encouraged to go on and know that while it may not look like much is sinking in, you never know what is going on in hearts. Good for Alex for loving folks different from himself!! Trisha

Kristi said...

Sheila,

Tell Alex that we are very proud of him and would have loved to attend one of his games!

Have a great day!

Love,

Kristi

jenny said...

Loved the pic of all his supporters--too cute!