BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 17, 2008

Praise!!!

Psalms 150:6...."Let every living, breathing creature praise God!"

Some of you may know that I have been struggling with severe insomnia for close to five months. I have been waking up anywhere between 2-4 a.m. EVERY night, and not able to go back to sleep for up to 2 1/2 hours! I used to think that was no big deal for other people, but then when it became part of my life, I changed my way of thinking! I have spent so many sleepless nights, just plain angry!
It was about 3 weeks ago, that I finally went and purchased a bottle of Advil PM, and began to take it. For the first time in months I got an entire night of sleep.
I really do hate to take medication....I don't mind swallowing it, but I don't like to think that I am dependent on a pill to make me feel better. But this was different...after finally getting some much needed rest, taking that pill every night was easy! I hadn't felt that good in a long time!

Then last week, our pastor was sharing in his sermon about his own problem of insomnia. He said, that He finally turned his TOSSING into TRUSTING. (Duane was elbowing me in the ribs...he had been giving me a hard time about my "drug use".) Pastor Darrel was not preaching against medication...he was just sharing how God had called him to quit fighting against the sleepless nights. He now goes to bed early, and is awake every morning at 3-4 am...for the day! Well, that is just not feesible for this mother of three!

So, I went away from that sermon, and decided that I was going to quit taking the pills at night. I told God that if the reason that I was waking up, was because He wanted me to get up and spend time with Him...I would do that. But then I asked Him to please help me get some sleep without the pills.
He knows that I am a busy mom, and that not being able to rest makes a momma cranky! But, I also know that He is bigger than my "non-stop, nightly turbulence".

So,
Last Sunday night, I went to bed with out a pill...and slept all night!
Last Monday night, I went to bed without a pill...and slept all night!
Last Tuesday night......and slept all night!
Last Wednesday........you get the picture!

Last night (Sunday) marked a week that I have been sleeping pill free, and I slept every night, all night!

Hallelujah! I am not going to over-think it, or worry that the insomnia may come back. I know that God answered my prayer!

Now, let me end this by saying, that I don't think I was wrong to take the pills. There are many medical conditions that require us to take medication. And I thank God we have them! If you require sleeping pills to get rest...that is your situation, and I am not faulting that!

This was something I was hearing God ask me to do. To trust Him to take care of it!
And I couldn't go another day without praising Him for it!






2 comments:

Dámaris said...

Sheila this sounds so familiar, I have also been in the same path for quite some time, and I also tried the Tylenol PM which worked great, but just like you I didn't want my body to get used to a pill. A Dr suggested I take Magnesium with calcium before I go to bed which I have been doing that and it works great, it works just like the pill but without the chemicals and yet feeding good nutrients to my body. I am glad that you are doing well now. love ya Damaris

jenny said...

Thanks for sharing...inspiring to trust God with all of our needs, both the physical and the spiritual...and yes they can be related though not always. I am a very deep sleeper and my close friends like to tease me about it. I have found,though, that it times of intense stress NOTHING is worse than that feeling of not being able to get to sleep...and then trying to function without it.