BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Being a Mom

I have just spent the day being treated like a queen for Mother's Day, and it was a beautiful day! Now, all the children are tucked in for the night, and I sit here with my thoughts about being a mom.

Dreaming of Motherhood...
Some of my very earliest memories in life, are of wanting to be a mommy. I used to think having my own husband, home, and babies would be a all that I would ever want or need! I dreamed what my husband would be handsome and kind...I dreamed that my house would be yellow with white shutters and it would be full of peace....I dreamed that my six children would all have red hair and I would dress them alike!
How funny our dreams can be, but thinking back to them now, I am so aware that God had a dream for my life, so much bigger than my dreams ever were!
My husband is handsome and his kind ways are as natural as breathing for him. My house is not yellow with white shutters, but peace reigns in this home!! My three children are not red-heads and they would shoot me if I tried to dress them alike...but they are beautiful and loving in so many ways!

The Reality of Motherhood...
It has been the best thing that has ever happened to me and yet at the same time, it has been the hardest thing I have ever done! There are days when being a mom is fulfilling and natural; other days I wonder who took Sheila and replaced her with me...and where did these children come from?!?
But I love being a mom!! I really do! I have loved the moments of babyhood, when they depended on me for life, food and love. I have loved the moments of indescribable adoration that I see in their eyes as they look at me. I have loved hearing them say "Ma-ma" for the first time and the pleasure of knowing they love me even when I mess up! I have loved watching them discover their world from the safety of my lap, and when they venture a few feet away, only to come running back to me. I have loved teaching them about God and how much He adores them. I have loved listening to them explain something new they discovered, or how their day has gone. I have loved the long talks and hugs of comfort when life has been hard.
That is just it...I have loved!

One of my hearts deepest desires is for my children to always know that they are loved...not because of anything they do, but simply because they are mine!
I love being a mom!

1 comments:

Robyn Huff said...

Hello Sheila! I'm sure you don't know who I am, but I went to school with Brian and Jamie. Jamie and I traveled in a summer trio together. Anyway, I really enjoy your blog, and all the interesting, uplifting, and and inspiring blogs you post! Hope you don't mind me stopping by!

Robyn Huff