BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 27, 2009

Lemon Bars........


FOR THE CRUST:

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temp.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt

FOR THE FILLING:

6 extra-large eggs at room temp.
3 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (3-4 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour

Confectioner's sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the crust, cream butter and sugar in a bowl. Combine the flour and the salt then add to butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board. and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press into a 9 x 13 baking dish, building up a 1/2 inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15-20 min. until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.

For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30-35 min., until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.

Cut into triangles or squares, and dust with confectioner's sugar.

Getting ready to bake the crust

Juicing the lemons

Farm-fresh eggs from our very own, "Double T Landscape chickens"!

Anticipation!

Dusted and ready to eat!

Recipe taken from Barefoot Contessa Parties!

This is something that I thought I would add onto the end of this post. I have learned to use what Rachel Ray calls a Trash Bowl while cooking.
It saves me multiple trips back and forth to the trash can, and when I am done, I just dump everything at one time into the garbage!
This is an antique enamel bowl. I found it at a garage sale, and it has been a perfect Trash Bowl!

2 comments:

Noni said...

Sheila ~ I love your Blog! It's exceptional!

Thanks for the Lemon Bars recipe and also the awesome pictures. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Love you ♥

Noni Knapp

Anonymous said...

Oh, those looks so good. I have tried many times over the years to make lemon bars and have been unsuccessful at every attempt so I finally gave up on it.
Like your *garbage bowl*. Did you know you can actually buy a GB like Rachael's on Amazon. I couldn't believe it. All you need is a big ol' bowl. Wonder how many she's sold? :o)