BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 9, 2009

No Small Potatoes for me!

Here in our home, Fox News is the resource where my husband stays current on what is happening around us. Those who know me well, know that I am, by far, not a news-junkie! Not that I don't care what is happening in my world, but I tend to internalize other people's problems. If there is a family in Florida that is grieving the kidnapping of a child, or a child in Ethiopia that is raising his younger siblings because his parents died of AIDS...I take their pain very seriously, and dream sad dreams about it. I have learned to not watch a lot of news.
During the last days of the election, and with the wars and economy....I have just had to stop watching any kind of news. It was making me a stress case of the worst kind!

So this morning, I was reading my devotional book, Fresh Grounded Faith by Jennifer Rothschild, and she shared this from God's Word....

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (Msg.)
"So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever."

When I read that these times are just small potatoes, I thought, "This Idaho Spud knows all about small potatoes!" No seriously, I can hang on to Hope, knowing that the bad times are nothing in comparison to what is coming for all who believe!

So, when I hear that Obama is stressed this morning because his Democratic Congress might not go along with his economic recovery plan....I just picture small potatoes! Or, when I see that some dumb guy stole 173 million from unsuspecting people....small potatoes. Or that the gas prices went up 10 cents this week...small potatoes.....

1 comments:

Jamie said...

That's good Sheila. Something we all need to remember when we are tempted to "stress out!" Thanks for the good post!
Love you~