BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Covered in Dust?

Our small group has been using Rob Bells DVDs called Nooma (The name NOOMA comes from a phonetic spelling of the Greek word pneuma (πνευμα) meaning 'wind,' 'spirit,' or 'breath.') each week. They are great life applicable, spiritual teachings, that produce meaningful discussion.

Last night, we watched the one entitled, "Dust" (#8). It was so impacting to me, that I have not been able to stop thinking about it! I dreamed it, and then woke up with it on my heart again.

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but I do want to share a tidbit from it, that has me thinking deeply about where I am in this time in my life.

The tradition/culture in the days of Jesus, were that the Rabbi's would choose their followers/disciples from the best of the best (of the best) boy scholars. Those young boys would leave their families, synagogues, towns, to follow the Rabbi. As they would leave home, they would be admonished like this....."May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi".
What was meant by this, was, "may you follow so closely to your Rabbi, that you are covered in the dust he stirs up, as he walks down the road. "

Jesus went to pick his disciples, and did not choose the best of the best....he chose the "nobodies" to follow him. He showed us by doing that, that His way, or gospel, is for everyone!
So, that also means that they did not go begging to be chosen...they were busy working in their trades, with no hope that they would ever be good enough. But Jesus handpicked those he believed would be able to follow him, and teach his gospel.

So, as a disciple of my Rabbi, Jesus....am I covered with the His dust?? That is what I have been mulling over since last night. I must admit that I am convicted!

I don't always act like Him....

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

Never commented here before (linked from Jen's) but that is so beautiful!! Blessings! (Kimberly N.)(I Enjoy your thoughts.)