BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Consistency, thou art a virtue!

con·sis·tent

  1. In agreement; compatible: The testimony was consistent with the known facts.
  2. Being in agreement with itself; coherent and uniform: a consistent pattern of behavior.
  3. Reliable; steady: demonstrated a consistent ability to impress the critics.
  4. Mathematics Having at least one common solution, as of two or more equations or inequalities.
  5. Holding true as a group; not contradictory: a consistent set of statements.

Above is the definition to one of the aspects of parenting that I find THE most difficult! Being consistent!

When I entered into the role as a mother, I had no idea just how challenging I would find this. I had been around many kids and had strong opinions on how kids should be raised, but I had not encountered this on a personal level. I wasn't aware that consistency and discipline were related, let alone first cousins!!
It didn't take long for me to figure it out.
Have I mastered the art of parenting.......Gracious, NO!

But I have learned that Consistency is now one of my best friends.

I have learned that I must first be consistent in every area of my daily life. If I am to expect it in my children, I must be their first model. I haven't always done a very good job, but I am trying.

When it comes to discipline (teaching/training), I now find consistency to be my greatest tool. My kids figured out very early that if they tried hard enough, and pushed enough buttons, that I would give in. I figured out, that I had to stay the course (no matter how exhausting), if I wanted my kids to obey, and obey every time.

We have all seen the kids, who are wailing in the store for something they think they must have! And we have all seen the moms, who in desperation and frustration, give in, and buy whatever the child is wanting.
I am not as quick to judge as I once was, because I know how it feels when a child is doing something that embarrass me. I, way too many times have acted out of embarrassment, then out of what I knew was right.

I have been around moms who say "Stop that, or you will have to go to time-out!" And their little darling turns around and does it again, because he knows mommy is not going to follow-through!
I have been that mommy! And then I am blubbering to Duane about how I am so weary of not being listened too. And as I am blubbering, it hits me...why should they listen? I am not going to do what I said I would, so they can do whatever they want. To them I was just a "clanging cymbal"!

Being consistent is hard, hard work, but I am convinced it is worth every minute of effort. My children are not perfect, but they haven't embarrassed me in public, in a very long time!
Ashley wrote to me in our journal this week, that she was thankful that she had a mom who cared about her behavior. (that was worth millions in my book!!!)

My focus as our children get older, is teaching consistent behavior in doing a chore, in schoolwork, in personal hygiene, in being a public citizen, in their relationship with Jesus.....
I commit to doing my very best in training them, and pray that it sinks in!

A lady, whom I admire very much, told me just this week, that she used to pray that her three children would grow into healthy, happy adults, who loved God with all their hearts, and would take good care of their families. She is now seeing the fruits of her labor and prayers!!
It was an encouragement to me. Someday, I will be there, looking back, and thankful that I made this investment!

1 comments:

Kristi said...

Dear Sheila,

Thank you so much for the reminder. It is a wonderful thing to get good, sound encouragement from a sister, not to mention a sister in Christ.

I so look up to you and your love for the Lord and your desire to serve Him.

Love you!

Kristi