BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Biq Questions!

As I was tucking Alex in last night, he looked at me with tears getting ready to spill over, and said, "Mom, why do some people have to be mean?"

For those of you who are parents...doesn't it just feel like someone took a knife and chopped your heart into pieces when you see your child hurt?! There are times when I think, "Oh, child, this is minor compared to the what is to come!" But then I see how big it is to them at that moment.

For a little background: Alex was getting shaggy, so yesterday, I buzzed his hair off! Uncle Aaron introduced him to this marine way of living last summer, and Alex really liked it.
He wasn't real sure about it yesterday, and when I finally got to the bottom of it, he said that he didn't like it when his sisters wanted to rub his newly shaved head. So after I told him that I wouldn't let them touch his head, he was all for the buzz!

So, back to the big question, "Mom, why do some people have to be mean?". I asked him why he was wondering that, and he told me that he had gotten teased by a couple of his friends at Caravan's about his hair.

So for awhile I sat on the side of his bed, and we talked about why people say or do things that hurt us. I reminded him that we all have hurt others by our words, actions...and that it needs to be a lesson learned. We talked about how words can be more hurtful than actions are.
Then Duane walked in and we both gave Alex some advise about how to handle being teased. No, we didn't encourage him to beat anyone up. We did tell him that he could come back with, "Well, if your head was as perfect as mine, you would buzz your hair off too!"

We prayed...he prayed, thanking God for his mom and dad. We hugged him, told him he was the handsome-est boy on the planet, and walked out.

Oh, I hate it when my kids get teased! I know that it is inevitable! So my prayer is that when someone is mean to them, they will know exactly how Jesus feels about them, and learn to handle the meanness with Christ's love and kindness.

The facts are:

  1. Parenting is hard work
  2. People can be mean
  3. Children can be meaner
  4. Life is tough
  5. God is faithful............whew!

0 comments: