BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Winter Bliss, Luxuries & Indulgences!



I admit that I suffer with what I call "The Winter Blahs."
December brings the celebrations and gloriousness of Christmas. January and February bring cold weather, dark, cloudy days & cooped up kids, which adds up to insanity for Mom!
I was reading the other day that they now have a name for it: Seasonal Affective Disorder. Why is it that when a physician or scientist finally medically identifies a condition, it seems more real and even serious?
I have suffered with the winter blahs for years, and I never knew that it had a name. Had I known that...well, I could have felt even more sorry for myself. Please understand that I am not making fun of this. I know that it can be severe enough, that it completely paralyzes one from being able to function at a normal setting.
I am just tickled to myself that, what I dealt with for years was really a bit of a big deal, and I just thought I was wacko. Well, maybe I was!
All of that being said, I have now found what works for me. I am now able to "nip it in the bud" before it gets out of control.
So, this post is actually about "Winter Bliss: What I Do to Survive the Winter".
I would love to hear from all of you about how you brighten your days. What kinds of foods do you prepare (please share the recipe), what do you listen to, how do you make your home cozy and inviting...please share!

"Sheila's Winter Bliss, Luxuries & Indulgences"

  • Hot Tea & Coffee...holding a hot cup, and sipping it's contents...hmmmmm!
  • Soup...I think Winter and Soup are best friends. Tonight I am fixing a Broccoli and Cheese Soup, and serving with hot crusty bread. HEAVEN!
  • Music...whether it is classical or spiritual, the sounds in my home have a direct impact on my feelings and mood. When I am wound up, classical music causes me to exhale and relax. If I am feeling sad or worried, I crank up the praise & worship music, and dance for joy with one of my children. Music is my hearts delight!
  • Smells...a new lotion, or candle to fill my senses...Luxury!
  • Reading a good book...An indulgence that I refuse to go without!
  • Trying a new recipe...One of my winter favorites is Scones. I found a new recipe for Honey Scones that I will share on the sidebar of my blog. I am excited to make these for my Lit & Latte Book Group. Of course we will have coffee/tea to drink with them.
  • Looking at home decor books...I get the most inspiration when I see a lovely room or arrangement. I feel my "move the furniture and clean mood" coming on, and it makes me and my home feel fresh and renewed.
  • Going out with someone I love for coffee...sometimes it is Duane, and sometimes it is one of my friends. This time re-charges me and encourages my faster than anything. It makes me a better mom and wife.
  • Buying new Stationary...I am still a fan of "the written word". I love to send a note on brand new pretty paper or card. It makes me smile.
  • Prayer...spending time talking to my Father, and being in relationship with him. There are times that I can stop and quietly meditate on Him, and other times when He and I chat while I am scrubbing stains out of a shirt.
  • New Pajamas...I know that someone that is reading this is laughing, but new warm jammies that I can put on and snuggle up with the afore mentioned cup of coffee...BLISS!
  • Bath...a hot, full tub beckons me to soak and let the world go by. This is a luxury that I don't enjoy enough. But I will work on it. I have a very close friend, who makes this a priority, and I think it is wonderful!
  • Watching a movie...anything by Jane Austin, and anything that is romantic. Of course, you won't find me enjoying this luxury without the coffee and a quilt.
  • Spending time loving on my kids...just as I get the winter blahs, I know that my children feel cooped up too, and so I try to encourage them to find ways to express joy. We love to be silly and dance to country music. Not only does it make us laugh, but it increases Mom's heart rate, and that is "heart healthy living"! I also encourage the children to draw, write and play games together. Creativity brings out the best in all of us.
Now, I will beg you to share your Winter Bliss!

2 comments:

julie f said...

I loved your ideas...I don't really have anything much to add.

I do think that playing in the snow helps me enjoy the season much more than just seeing it from inside. I also think candles, game nights with friends, (and you're right), new PJ's help these drearier months go by faster. I always feel that once we hit Valentine's Day, spring can not be too far behind. We're almost there!!!

I also love the "facelift" you gave your blog...so beautiful!

Have a wonderful day, friend!

Katie said...

I love and agree with all of your ideas Sheila. We must be kindred spirits. I also have to add that sewing pretty things for my almost 4 year old daughter Alayna Joy has given me great delight. I just made her and her sweet cousin Madison matching Easter dresses of peachy pink and they are both ecstatic to wear them. Reminding myself to be thankful for having 4 seasons is helpful too. I wouldn't want to live somewhere that it was always hot or cold so I'm grateful that God led us to Colorado where we have lots of sunshine and 4 glorious seasons to enjoy His creation! Katie Seest