BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Happy Birthday, Aunt Lisa!










When I was born, my mother had a younger sister, Lisa. She was 7 years old, when I arrived into this world.
We pretty much grew up acting like sisters, and as I got older, I turned into the pesky sister that Lisa never wanted!
I adored her (I still do!), and wanted to be like her and with her all the time! She was nice some days, and others, she did whatever it took to get rid of me. Some days, she turned me loose in her closet to play dress up, other days, she would send me to find grandma, and then run down the street and hide out at her friend's house. Poor thing...she obviously needed her space, and I was always in it!

It was Lisa who pretty much filled me in on the facts of life...(sorry Mom!) She was also the one who told my mom that "it is high-time that girl shaves her legs!" (Thank you, Lisa!)

Lisa married, and became a mommy, all while I was in my teenage years. She asked me to come and stay at her house after she had Crystal (20 years ago), to help out, and I loved every minute of it!
Then, when she gave birth to Kyra, she invited me to be in the delivery room. That was an experience to remember! It was not the first birth I had watched. I worked in the Obstetrics Dept. at the hospital, as a Candy Striper, and had watched two other babies born. But Lisa was my aunt, and I got emotionally involved in her delivery! I held my breath when she did, and I pushed when she did....so when Kyra made her appearance, I settled in for a long winter's nap right there on the floor (I fainted!) Poor Lisa, I wasn't the most supportive coach.

I married, had Ashley, and then the following year, Lisa had Michael. We were new mommies together, and that was very special. She gave me TONS of good advice!

I have always thought the world of my Aunt Lisa. Even though she was mean to me sometimes-she still loved me, and I knew it!

When Lisa and Dennis' little guy, Michael, was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of three, I watched my sweet aunt go through a year of hell on earth! Lisa called me the day Michael was diagnosed, and I drove as fast as I could to the hospital to be by them. I sat and entertained Michael, while the doctors broke the news to she and Dennis. It was a horrible moment, that is burned in my memory forever, but I would not have wanted to be anywhere else!

Lisa is a hero in my book! The next year, the last one Michael lived on this earth, was full of pain and sorrow, but I watched Lisa and Dennis willingly do everything in their power to make their little boy well. I watched Lisa's strength, and fortitude, amidst the agony that was going on in her heart.
I well remember the day, that I walked into the hospital, and watched Lisa say good bye to her baby, and hold him until it was over! That is why she is my hero!
(I need to go get some Kleenex...please excuse me!)

Today, Lisa is successfully mothering two (all-grown-up) teenagers, Crystal & Kyra, and 8 year old, Brandon. She is an office manager for her husband's Welding business, she is the caretaker for the Greenleaf Cemetery, she works during sugar beet harvest at a weigh station, she drives bus every now and then....she is like the energizer bunny!

Lisa, I love you! Thank you for loving me, and being the best aunt ever!!!!!
Happy Birthday!
Sheila

4 comments:

Sister Sue said...

bAnd to think she is my little sister. I was a day from being 16 when she was born. I had wanted a sister when Terry and Gary were born. I couldn't grab my coat to go somewhere but she would say, "I WANNA GO"...always!!!!!
Sheila, she is my hero also. I have seen her live some very difficult days and she shone through it.
Lisa, I love you!!
Sue

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

WOULD YOU 2 BRING ME SOME TISSUES!!!??? NOW!!!!!
Thank you for the kind words. I love you and really enjoy our times together. We have way too much fun I think, but oh well.
I posted on my blog that your mom was 15 when I was born, so one of us is wrong, I think it is her!
I love you and thanks again! Ilove the picture of my long hair and long SKINY legs. Yikes!

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

THAT GUITAR?? I just realized the guitar in that pix. Why would anyone buy their kid a noisey guitar like that???

Cher said...

Very nice! I agree, she is a wonderful lady! Thank you Lisa for being a such a sweet, fun, loving person. Your love and support means more than you'll ever know! We love you!