BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 2, 2007

Lit & Latte Book Group

I have always wanted to lead a book group. My love for books has been a lifetime in the making. So, to be able to share the delight of reading with a group of friends....the stuff dreams are made of!

I decided a year ago, that I would gather a group of five friends together and start my first book group. We have read some wonderful books! My friend book group has become a monthly priority.

So, then after a year of attending our new church, Boise First Nazarene, I volunteered to co-lead a new women's small group called, Lit & Latte. Those of you who know me well, know that I love all things coffee and tea. So, to be able to share my love of books AND coffee...a dream come true! To make a long story short...I am leading a small group of 18 women!! We started by reading, "Captivating...exploring the hidden nature of a woman's soul".

This book is unbelievable! I am only through the third chapter, and I am stripped down to the nitty-gritty of who and what I am.
I am deeply relating to the author's thoughts on how we women, young and old, are overwhelmed by expectations. We turn outward, and we face expectations to be the perfect friend, church-member, wife, mom...then we turn inward, and we face expectations of our own making. We think we have to be "all that to all people".
We carry around so much guilt and failure.

Stasi Eldredge writes, "We have thoughts of, I am not enough and, I am too much all at the same time. Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But then we are too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy! The result is Shame, the universal companion of women. It haunts us, nipping at our heels, feeding our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone."

If you get the chance to read this book, you will not be disappointed. If you are even considering starting a book group...do it!

One of my favorite quotes (yes, I have many!) is..."We read to know that we are not alone" by C.S. Lewis

Happy Reading!

0 comments: