BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Inspires Me?




I must admit that this is not my favorite time of the year. I hate, Hate, HAte, HATe, HATE fog, and until this last Sunday, this valley spent two weeks covered by a thick brown-ish blanket of fog, that kept even a little ray of sunshine from being able to break through. I don't like to be cold either, and tonight it is frigid. I enjoy snow, until Christmas, and after that, I don't find much beauty in it.

In fact, nothing has been feeling very beautiful lately...including my life! Oh, don't get me wrong. Before you go diagnosing me with Seasonal Affective Disorder...I have already self diagnosed, and I am pretty sure that I have a mild case of it. I am not so depressed that I can't get out of bed, and I am not eating myself sick, in fact, I am on a healthy lifestyle program, and am losing weight....but I am struggling to be truly inspired!

So, the last couple of days, I have been on a little "Inspire Sheila Journey". It really does not take much to get me excited...I only have to seek that part of myself out, and let "me" loose!

Yesterday morning, I woke up and announced to no one in particular, that I was going out! I grabbed my Bible and Beth Moore Study Book (Jesus, The One and Only), and out the door I went. I could hardly contain my excitement!
After dropping my children off at their respective schools, and stopping in at Weight Watchers to weigh-in, I drove straight (I did not pass go, and I did not collect 200 dollars) to
Flying M Coffee Garage, ordered myself a Latte' and found a table in the corner, where the sun was beating in on me.
For the next two hours, I blocked out the world around me, and spent time focusing on what I am studying.
My next stop was a local used bookstore. There are few places in this world that get me more excited than bookstores. I feel like I am transported to new and different places, with every book I hold in my hands. I was on a mission to find used and cheaper copies of the book that I had chosen for my book club. I found two copies and they were marked way down. That made me smile!

I then found myself in a little store that makes my heart start racing, as soon as I open the front door!
Bella Rose is the most beautiful store, filled with old furniture pieces that Zella Marie has re-furbished, mixed in with antique rose dishes and fine linens, wire baskets and delicious candles, vintage tins and porcelain lamps....it's mixed aroma of old and new hits me as I walk in, and my heart sighs! (I could so see myself working there) I go in this store often, just to browse and unwind. There is something about touching things that come from long ago, that make me want to live my life purposefully today!
I walked down the way to the Library. Once again, looking for a book that I had on my list.
As I walked out of the Library, I noticed again that the sun was shining brightly! I smiled as I soaked it all in!

The day progressed, and last night, I kicked off my book group again. I started this group about two years ago, and then we paused for awhile, due to busy lives. It was with joy that we are at it again! We met at Living Waters Coffee House, and laughed the night away! Laughter is so good for me!

That is all it took...a day of quiet, sunshine, a large assortment of previously loved books and treasured housewares, fresh air, and loads of laughter...and I am on my way to feeling refreshed and ready to hang on for a couple more months!

Tomorrow, I will share some of the ways I bring beauty into my home and life.....


Photo source: Country Living Images

2 comments:

Jamie said...

That was a great, inspirational story, Sheila. I enjoyed it very much...Way to take charge of the situation -- I'm very impressed!
Love you,
Jamie

Robin said...

Hi-
What a fun day you must have had! Thanks for stopping by my blog - to think that people I don't even know are praying for me and my family touches my heart more than I can say. Thank you.
I am doing okay. This whole Peru thing has been so very hard for me to wrap my heart and head around. It certainly wasn't in MY plans! But if I know anything at all it is this: Gods ways are not my ways. Sometimes that really stinks!
Thanks so much for your prayers - keep them coming! And enjoy the beautiful sunshine today!