BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Happy Birthday, Honey!!




Happy Birthday Grandma Honey!

My Grandma Virginia Aman became Grandma Honey to our family several years ago, and we owe it all to my cousin, Justin. When he was a tiny kid, he started copying Grandpa, when he would call out to "Honey". It stuck, and she is Honey to a lot of people.

She is an amazing grandma! She is my mom's mother, and that would explain why my own mom is such a wonderful person.
My many memories of grandma, are happy and warm. I loved going to Grandma's house! She created a home that was cozy & unhurried. I can remember that during the days of unrest in my own home, Grandma's house was a haven to me. I felt safe and loved there.
One of my favorite things to do was fill her big old tub with water, slip in up to my chin and then wash my hair with her Amway honey shampoo.
Then when I got out, I would brush my really long hair with her pink bristle brush.

Her kitchen was her throne room. From fried chicken, to dill pickles, to homemade yogurt, to strawberry jam in the little white Tupperware containers. She would make chocolate chip cookies, and then she would put them in the freezer...they were to die for!

Grandma had a room that she kept all of her canned food, and pantry items. She would let me play "General Store" in there. Amidst all the colorful jars of green beans, tomatoes, peaches and pears, I would imagine that I was the owner of a country store. I would tape prices tags to the jars, and fill baskets with potatoes to "sell". If I close my eyes and concentrate, I can smell the apples, potatoes, and onions stacked in burlap bags on the floor.
Grandma never complained about the way I constantly "re-arranged" her fruit room. Looking back, that was sweet of her allow me that pleasure.

I love you Honey! You are very special to me, and I am so thankful that God gave me you for a grandma.
Have a happy birthday!
Sheila

1 comments:

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

Sheila ~ that was so sweet. I have a very wonderful mommy, it took me a few years to see that, but I did and want to be just like her.
I love you mom!